Sunday, May 10, 2009

Building Your Cabin

By now, you should have done some thinking about your class project.

Have you done an outline?
  1. Title/name of site
  2. Mission/intention/topic of site
  3. Pages (you need five)
    a. Home page (index.html)
    b. A page focusing on something you want the reader to know or do, relative to your topic
    c. More in depth information or auxiliary possibilities (I am being purposefully vague)
    d. Associated ideas
    e. etc. Links to sites that support your thesis or illustrate something about your topic
    f. You can be very creative with pages...don't rely on any of my lists!
    g. Something about yourself, or the organization or company you are making a site about
  4. For each page
    a. Links
    b. Navigation (between pages) ideas
    c. Images
    d. Text/content
  5. For the site
    a. Color ideas (see http://kuler.adobe.com/ for some fun with color)
    b. A diagram of how your pages will link to each other
    c. A sketch of the home page or of a basic page layout...on paper in crayon or marker or colored pencil or in Photoshop or Fireworks or Illustrator or the program of your choice
    d. Ideas of how you want the type to look (fonts, sizes, colors, etc.)
    e. A diagram of file names and file structure (could be combined with b above)
    f. Features you would add if you knew how
        i. videos
        ii. rollovers
        iii. sound effects
        iv. visual effects
I hope you get the idea...do a lot of thinking before you start twiddling bits on Dreamweaver. You'll be happy you did.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for the outline. It's great. I did start twiddling on Dreamweaver with improving an existing site owned by a group I belong to; you're right, I want to start over now....but, I did learn a few things to do and NOT to do. If you don't twiddle, you don't learn. Kuler is a great color site! Wow again. Now I feel like doing an entirely different site...hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding twiddling the bits: see one of my first posts about straightening rusty nails... You're absolutely right! You need to twiddle to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.